What is Micro-needling?
Micro-needling (also known as collagen induction therapy) is a minimally invasive technique that uses tiny sterile micro-needles to create very small, controlled punctures to the top layer of the skin. These microscopic punctures then heal by triggering the body to create new collagen and elastin, resulting in an improvement in the appearance of the skin. It also allows for the active ingredients in the topically applied skin products to be absorbed into the deeper skin layers.
- Reduction of fine lines and wrinkles
- Improved texture, skin tightening, lifting and regeneration
- Reduction of acne scars
- Lightened pigmentation
- Decreased pore size
- Improvement in stretch marks and other body scars
Are you a Candidate for Micro-needling?
Micro-needling can be done on people with all different skin types. Even people with darker skin types are ideal candidates for micro-needling. It is also ideal for patients who do not want laser treatments but want more rejuvenation than what typical peels and microdermabrasion can offer. There is minimal risk of pigment change or post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation. Micro-needling can be used to treat sensitive and fragile areas that are difficult to treat with other procedures. These areas include the eyes, the neck and the back of the hands.
Why do we use the SkinStylus® Micro-needling System?
We use SkinStylus® because it is the only device that can be autoclave sterilized for our clients safety and peace of mind. That means no chance of bodily fluids being transferred from one client to another.
What are the additional benefits of SkinStylus®?
- Dramatically increases the effectiveness and penetration of active ingredients in the topical preparations we will be using on your skin
- Decreases the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, pigmentation issues, scars, and stretch marks
- Can be performed on all skin types, including ethnic skin
- It can be used on all areas of the scalp, face, and body including the fragile skin around your eyes, mouth and neck
- It is less painful with little to no downtime
- Disposable needles/no cross- contamination with the SkinStylus® autoclave sterilizable system
- Effectively treats hard-to-reach areas around the eyes and nose
- Micro-needling treatments can be performed immediately after some laser treatments and on the same day
- Micro-needling can also be combined with other types of treatments for an enhanced result
What does the procedure involve?
The skin is cleaned and numbing cream may be applied to lessen discomfort. A small hand held pen-like device with a sterile, disposable tip with 13 tiny needles is then used to pierce the skin. The SkinStylus® multi-speed and adjustable needle depth allow microneedles to pierce the skins layer at 90 degrees and increase the absorption of products. After the treatment, soothing medical grade topicals are used to hydrate, heal and protect the skin.
Are SkinStylus® treatments painful?
SkinStylus® treatments are relatively painless but topical numbing cream can be applied prior to the treatment to minimize discomfort.
What areas of the body can be treated with SkinStylus®?
The SkinStylus® Micro-needling System can be used to treat your face, neck, chest, arms, legs and other areas of the body.
Preparing for your Micro-needling treatment:
- Avoid retinoids and treatments for auto-immune diseases for 24 hours before your treatment if directed by your physician or skincare professional.
- Avoid sun exposure to the treated area for 24 hours before your treatment.
- Do not schedule this procedure if you have used Accutane/Isotretinoin within the last 6 months.
What to expect and post-treatment instructions for after a Micro-needling treatment:
- Immediately following your micro-needling treatment, the treatment area may be slightly swollen and feel warm and tight. It will look as though you have a moderate to severe sunburn.
- There may be minimal pin-point bleeding and/or bruising in the treatment area
- Most people will recover within the same day or within 48 hours. Avoid the sun, exercise and makeup until the following day. A physical (zinc-oxide or titanium oxide) sunblock should be used.
- Avoid makeup, retinoids, glycolic acids, and vitamin C products on the first night.
- Post treatment instructions will be provided.
How many treatments do I need and how often can Micro-needling be repeated?
For age management, treatments can be safely repeated every 4-6 weeks with bi-annual maintenance treatments. Certain conditions, such as scarring, may require treatments every two weeks. For people with deep wrinkles, advanced photo aging, stretch marks or acne scars it is recommended to receive 6-8 sessions. Most people will begin to see results after the very first appointment.
Micro-needling is not suitable for patients who:
- Have a used Accutane (isotretinoin) within the last six months
- Have open wounds, cuts or abrasions in the treatment area of the skin
- Have HIV/AIDS, Diabetes, Scleroderma, blood clotting problems
- Recent facial fillers (past 2 weeks)
- It is best to avoid micro-needling if you are having an active acne or herpes breakout in the treatment area
- Have had radiation treatment to the skin within the last year
- Are pregnant or breast feeding
- Have any history of keloid or hypertrophic scars or poor wound healing in the treatment area or warts, moles, or other lesions in treatment area that cannot be avoided